Sunday, June 15, 2014

A Very Bad Experience

By Ron Coselman

AAARRRRGGH..... this business of reviewing is dangerous work.  After another burger dinner the other night with Nelie.  I woke with stomach cramps. Which turned to diarrhea and vomiting.  I spent the next 30 hours in bed.  Not a pleasant review.

The risk of Food poisoning for restaurant goers should always be a consideration when choosing a place to eat.  A quick survey of the area, tables, and staff is first on the list. A general appraisal of the wait staff hands and appearance should give a hint to the restaurants managers priorities in cleanliness.

I once chose a school for my children based on the fact that it had a neatly cut grass areas and the children stayed on the sidewalks. To me, this indicated cleanliness, discipline and rules that would be carried over to the everyday classes.

The running of a restaurant starts at the top. Management HAS to care or the kitchen and wait staff won't.  The acts of proper food handling begins with training, instruction and follow ups.

I hesitate to completely blame this restaurant for my illness.  Food processing of meat and transportation from butcher to wholesaler is not always the cleanest possible procedure in a developing country. Refrigeration, power outages, heat and humidity all combine to be a restauranteur's worst enemy.  If the restauranteur, used all reasonable caution in handling and preparation, the process may have been contaminated long before they prepared it.  

For this reason, we will skip this review entirely and revisit the establishment in the future. ( I need to rebuild my courage). I am thankful that I have selective amnesia.



No comments:

Post a Comment